The PACman ROM is fast gaining popularity among users because of its ability to combine the features of three ROMs: the Paranoid Android (PA), the Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) and the CyanogenMod (CM). The ROM allows users to choose between PhoneUI, TabletUI and PhabletUI. The ROM basically covers all features of PA and CM and some features of AOKP ROMs. The team tries to include any cool feature that is out there which is open source.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 is the company’s flagship device. It contained Android 4.2.2 with a layer of Samsung’s TouchWiz UI on it. Samsung also launched a Google Play Edition of this phone later which contained stock Android rather than the TouchWiz UI. We have already seen how to install the Google Play Edition ROM on the S4. Let’s now proceed in installing PACman ROM with Android 4.3 on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505)
- CWM 188.8.131.52 or later custom recovery installed
- PACman ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the PACman ROM and Gapps zip files and copy them to the SD card of your S4.
- Now turn off your phone and boot into recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding volume up, home and power buttons. The phone will vibrate after some time and then you may release the power button but still pressing the other two. Once some blue text appears on the top left of the screen, you may let go the remaining two buttons as well.
- Once into recovery, select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
- After this, select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
- Next select “advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and choose “Yes”.
- Now select “mounts and storage”, then select “format /system” and choose “Yes”.
- Next select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the PACman ROM zip file.
- Again select “install zip from SD card” and then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Gapps zip file.
- Now again select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
- Finally reboot your phone and you have successfully installed PACman ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
Note: The ROM is based on CM 10.2 and so may contain few bugs. Also the OTA for this ROM is still in beta phase and so until the PACman team does not make it fully working, there won’t be OTA updates for this ROM.