The Paranoid Android (PA) team is working round the clock to develop new and stable builds for the various Android devices in the market. They even plan to release the Paranoid Android 4.0 version before Google releases the Android 4.4 Kitkat version. They aim to release a stable build along with few changes to the Hybrid Engine and the Pie. However, their’s being a small team may lead to a delayed release and also considering the fact that Google hasn’t announced a release date for Android 4.4 KitKat yet.
The Paranoid Android team recently started rolling out the last version among the PA 3+ ROMs, the PA 3.99. This update was released mainly because of the JWR66Y firmware update that started rolling out for a few devices. It bought about some security improvements and Paranoid Android was quick to include it in their ROM. The PA 3.99 also includes some device specific fixes that were being worked upon before the JWR66Y firmware update started rolling out. We have already seen how to install the Paranoid Android 3.98 on the Nexus 7 (2013). We will now proceed in installing the PA 3.99 on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 7 (2013):
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Unlocked bootloader
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2013) and custom recovery (TWRP) installed
- Paranoid Android 3.99 zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the Paranoid Android 3.99 and the Gapps zip files and copy them to the root of the internal storage of your device.
- Switch off your device and boot into fastboot mode. You can do this by pressing and holding the Volume Down button and then pressing and holding the Power button. From there, boot into recovery.
- Now select “Wipe”. Then choose “Advanced Wipe”. Select “Dalvik Cache”, “Data” and “Cache” and then perform “Swipe to Wipe”.
- Then go back to recovery and tap on “Install”. Select the Paranoid Android 3.99 zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- After the install is complete, select “Home”.
- Now again tap on ”Install”. Select the Gapps zip file and perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- After the installation is complete, tap on “Reboot System”. You have thus successfully installed Paranoid Android 3.99 on your Nexus 7 (2013).
Note: Once you have rebooted your system, you will see the Paranoid Android boot animation after which you may get a black screen. Leave it as it is without doing anything and the device will boot itself after some time.