The Paranoid Android team have finally released their Android 4.4.2 based custom ROM for the Nexus 5. The new build includes some new features as well as few bug fixes. However, Paranoid Android’s most alluring features, the Halo and Pie, have still not been included, with development on them currently ongoing. The team have also said that future builds will not include tablet mode but only phone and hybrid modes.
The Nexus 5 was launched late last year along with the latest Android OS. The device has a 4.95″ display, 2.3 GHz quad-core Snapdragon processor, Adreno 330 GPU, 2 GB RAM, 16/32 GB internal memory, 8 MP rear camera and 1.3 MP front facing camera. We had previously seen how to install the CM 11 ROM and the AOKP ROM on it. Let us now see how to install the Paranoid Android ROM on it.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Nexus 5:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Nexus 5 must be rooted
- Bootloader unlocked
- Latest CWM or TWRP Custom Recovery installed
- Paranoid Android 4.0 ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
- Download the latest Paranoid Android 4.0 ROM zip file and the Gapps zip file and copy it to the root of the internal storage of your Nexus 5.
- Turn off the device and boot into recovery mode. To do this, follow the below steps:
A. Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons simultaneously.
B. Use the Volume up or down buttons until you see Recovery on the screen and then press the Power button to boot into it.
- Now you have to perform a full data wipe.
If you are using CWM custom recovery, follow the below steps:
A. First select “wipe data/factory reset” and then choose “Yes”.
B. Select “wipe cache partition” and then choose “Yes”.
C. Finally select “advanced”, then select “wipe dalvik cache” and then choose “Yes”.
If you are using TWRP custom recovery, just tap on “Wipe” and perform “Swipe to Factory Reset”.
- Next select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Paranoid Android 4.0 ROM zip file.
- Again select “Install Zip”, then “Select Zip” and choose the Gapps zip file this time.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.
You have successfully installed Paranoid Android 4.0 ROM on your Nexus 5.
Note: The ROM is still in beta stage and so may contain some bugs.