The Samsung Galaxy S4 was launched in April of this year and was the latest device in Samsung’s flagship S series of smartphones. It initially ran on Android 4.2.2 with an Android 4.3 upgrade made available earlier this month. A few months later, Samsung announced its latest phablet in its flagship Note series, the Galaxy Note 3. The Galaxy Note 3 ran on Android 4.3 and had many new features including an updated camera app.
This updated camera app can now be installed on the Galaxy S4 as well thanks to the efforts of XDA Senior Member LastStandingDroid. The new camera app included the new Surround Shot mode which allows users to stitch individual photos into a single spherical image, as was done in the Photosphere feature that was introduced in Android 4.2. The app has been tested to be running flawlessly on rooted TouchWized Android 4.3 Galaxy S4. However, users of AOSP based ROMs (CM, AOKP, Paranoid Android, PACman) are out of luck as the app isn’t yet compatible with those ROMs. If you do satisfy the above condition, follow the below mentioned steps to install the Galaxy Note 3 camera app on your Galaxy S4.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Samsung Galaxy S4:
- Create a Nandroid Backup
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 running on Android 4.3 and TouchWiz
- Custom Recovery (CWM or TWRP) installed
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Camera app zip file
- Download the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Camera app zip file and copy it to the SD card of your device.
- Switch off your phone and boot into recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding volume up, home and power buttons. The phone will vibrate after some time and then you may release the power button but still pressing the other two. Once some blue text appears on the top left of the screen, you may let go the remaining two buttons as well.
- Now select “install zip from SD card”, then “select zip from SD card” and choose the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Camera app zip file.
- After the installation is complete, reboot your device.