The Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch, which at the time of launch was only compatible with the Galaxy Note 3 and the Galaxy note 10.1, now supports the Galaxy S3, the Galaxy S4 as well as the Galaxy Note 2 after they received firmware updates this month. The smartwatch though, offers very limited functionalities compared to its high price. However, development for the Gear has seen a steady rise with a way found to install apps on it and also root it. A few days back, we saw how to install a custom ROM on it developed by XDA Senior Member fOmey. And now, fOmey has ported the TWRP custom recovery on it as well.
A custom recovery is important as it allows users to perform many additional functions than those provided by the stock recovery. Users can partition the SD card, mount it for mass storage access, fix permissions, wipe battery stats, perform and restore backups, wipe dalvik cache and do many more things. The TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) recovery offers a much user friendly and touch-based UI compared to other recoveries. It also supports themes and is certainly one of the most preferred custom recoveries in the Android community. Let us now see how to install it on the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
- Download the Odin v3.09 zip file and the TWRP recovery file to your computer.
- Press and hold the Power button of your Galaxy Gear till the Restart screen appears.
- Press the Power button 5 times to enter recovery mode.
- Now press the Power button once to navigate to the download mode option.
- Press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds to enter the download mode.
- Now connect your Galaxy Gear to your computer via USB cable.
- Unzip the odin zip file and run the Odin3 v3.09.exe file.
- Select the AP option and choose the TWRP recovery file that you downloaded in step 1. Leave the other options as they are.
- Make sure that the Galaxy Gear can be seen in the ID:COM section.
- Click on Start and wait for the process to complete.
You have successfully installed TWRP custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Gear smartwatch.