HTC One was launched a few months ago with some great features. One thing that was missing from the HTC One was a separate physical button to take pictures. XDA Senior Member Matt has created a mod allowing for the volume buttons to act as a physical camera button. The mod is based on the latest version of the Camera.apk and will work with any deodexed Sense-based ROM. Rapid shooting can also be activated by holding down the volume button.
There are three versions of this mod that has been created by the developer.
- Capture pictures with either the volume up or down button
- Capture pictures with volume up, focus camera with volume down
- Capture pictures with volume up, start video recording with volume down
All the three mods are compatible with devices running Android version 4.2.2, while the first mod will work even on Android 4.1.2. As stated before, these mods will work only on the deodexed Sense-based ROMs. Follow the instructions below.
- HTC One must be rooted
- Custom recovery installed on the HTC One
- One of the above mods transferred on the SD card of phone
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the mod of your choice and place it on the root of the SD card. Root of the SD card means it should not be placed within any folder.
- Go in to the recovery mode.
- Go to “Wipe cache partition” and clear the cache.
- Go to “Advanced” and delete the dalvik cache.
- Now select “Install zip from SD card” and then “Select zip from SD card”. Choose the file that was downloaded in step 2.
- Go back and just reboot the phone.