The HTC One Google Play Edition was launched after the success of the Sense based One. The One’s powerful hardware coupled with stock Android makes this device one of the contenders for the best smartphone of the year. Being a Google Play Edition, the device is also bound to get timely updates.
The device features Android 4.2.2 with few features of the HTC Sense. It has the same hardware specifications as the original One, viz. 4.7 inch 1080p display with 469ppi, 32 GB internal memory and 2 GB of RAM, 4 MP ultrapixel rear camera and 2.1 MP front facing camera, 1.7 GHz Quad core Snapdragon processor and 2300 mAh battery. Let’s now proceed in rooting and installing custom recovery on this device.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC One Google Play Edition:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- HTC One Google Play Edition drivers installed on your computer
- Android SDK must be installed on the computer (adb.exe and fastboot.exe)
- Bootloader Unlocked
- TWRP custom recovery zip file
- Download the TWRP zip file, rename it as twrp.img and copy it to the SDK-tools directory.
- Connect your device to the computer via USB.
- Open the command prompt window in the SDK-tools directory and type the following code:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now type the following code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- You have now installed TWRP custom recovery on your device.
- Now we will proceed in rooting the device. Press the power button on your device to go back to bootloader. Press the volume down button until you see recovery and then press the power button to enter it.
- You will now see the TWRP recovery. Tap on “Reboot” and then on “System”.
- The screen will now display that your device is not rooted and will ask you whether you wish to install SuperSU and root your device. Perform “Swipe to Install” and your device will then reboot.
- Once your device has rebooted, just follow the SuperSU instructions to complete the rooting process.