With the success of its flagship smartphone, the One, HTC followed it by launching a compact version of it called the HTC One Mini. Having a screen size of 4.3″ coupled with Qualcomm Snapdragon dual-core processor running at 1.4Ghz and 1 GB RAM, the One Mini is similar to the One in the looks and the software departments. We will now learn to root this device and install custom recovery in it.
We have already seen what is rooting and the purpose behind it. Installing a custom recovery helps us in flashing unofficial updates, backup and restore your device and repair it in case of bad-flashed files, as well as a few extras. We will be installing the Team Win Recovery Project [TWRP] recovery in it. It offers a fully touch driven interface which is completely customizable and very easy to use.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC One Mini:
- Backup and Restore your Android smartphone via Desktop PC
- Backup/Sync and Restore contacts on Android smartphone
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- HTC One Mini with unlocked bootloader
- HTC One Mini drivers installed on the computer
- USB debugging enabled
- Android SDK
- TWRP 126.96.36.199 Touch Recovery image file
- SuperSU 1.51 zip
- Download the Android SDK and install it on your computer. Also download the TWRP recovery image file, rename it to recovery.img and place it in the same location as fastboot.
- Download the SuperSU zip file and copy it to the SD card of your phone.
- Turn off the device and boot into fastboot mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down, then press and hold Power.
- Now connect your device to your computer via USB.
- Next open the command window (CMD) in your computer and navigate to the folder where the adb.exe and fastboot.exe are placed.
- Type the following code :
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- After a few seconds, the recovery will be flashed. Then type fastboot boot recovery.img to boot the recovery immediately.
- Tap on “Install”, then select the SuperSu zip file. Then perform “Swipe to Confirm Flash”.
- Once the zip install is complete, tap on “Reboot System” and you have successfully rooted and installed TWRP custom recovery on your HTC One Mini.