Samsung Galaxy S4 was released in April 2013. After a few months of it’s launch, the Google Play Edition was released – Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505G. It was designed to give an experience of Stock Android to the users, without the Touchwiz interface from Samsung.
The Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 was admired by the consumers not only because of the great hardware and smart features of the stock Android 4.3, but also because of its cheap price for the unlocked model!
Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505G comes with a Quad-core Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 processor with four 1.9 GHz Krait 300 cores, 2 GB of RAM and Adreno 320 GPU. When it was released, it had the Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 OS. But, with the launch of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, an update was pushed. So the users who are on Android 4.3 Jellybean and want to Root their Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505G can follow the instructions given below.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy S4:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of your data on the SD card
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
Requirements for Rooting the Google Edition Galaxy S4
- Android SDK installed on the computer
- Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505G drivers installed on the computer
- Unlocked Bootloader of your device
- UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip file
- CWM Recovery
Step-by-step Rooting instructions
- Install the Android SDK on default location on the computer.
- Download the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip and CWM Recovery files and place it in the C:\adb\sdk\platform-tools directory.
- Now using the USB cable, connect your phone to the computer.
- Now go to the C:\adb\sdk\platform-tools directory and open the command prompt here.
- Now type the following command in the command prompt and then press enter.
adb reboot bootloader
- Once the phone enters the Bootloader, type the following command and then press enter.
fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-jfltexx.img
- After a few moments, the phone will boot in to CWM recovery.
- Go to “Install zip” and then “Install zip from sideload”.
- Again in the command prompt, type the following command and then press enter.
adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip
- Now Reboot the phone. Select NO, when a prompt appears about the stock recovery overwriting the phone.
Phew.. Done.. You have successfully Rooted the Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505G Google Play Edition Smartphone!