Google’s Nexus 7 is a good powerful device. It’s Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset having the Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 CPU is a powerhouse. Google’s Nexus series is known for it’s extreme ease to root as well as unlock bootloaders. The same applies for Nexus 7. This is a Guide to Unlock Bootloader as well as Root your device. To know more about rooting see this article.
Note: Unlocking the bootloader will cause complete data loss. Hence it is advisable to backup your messages and contacts.
- Android SDK or ADB package.
- USB Debugging Enabled.(Settings >> Developer Options >> Turn on >> USB Debugging)
- USB cable
- Power off your device.
- Press and hold the volume up + volume down + power button to enter fastboot mode.
- Plug your device to your PC using the USB cable.
- Now navigate to the folder platform tools in the folder where you have installed the android SDK typically:C:/Users/”username”/android-sdk/platform-tools
- Press Shift + right click and select open command window here.
- Once the Command window opens enter “fastboot devices” (without quotes).
- A device ID will be displayed on the cmd window. This makes sure that the fastboot can communicate with your Nexus 10.
- Now type into the cwm window “fastboot oem unlock” and press enter.
- Now see your device screen and confirm the process by selecting “yes“
- Now reboot your device with unlocked bootloader. Now You are free to flash custom ROMs as you wish on your device.
- Bootloader Unlocked
- Custom Recovery installed(if you do not have a custom Recovery head over here)
- Download Rooting flashable zip.
- Place the Rooting package in your Device’s SD card.
- Now power down your device.
- press and hold the “Volume up + Volume down + power button” till you enter recovery mode.
- IN recovery mode navigate to install zip from sd card.
- Navigate to the “CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip” and flash it.
- Now reboot into system.
- Once the system reboots, search for an app called SuperSU in the app drawer if it’s present you have successfully rooted your device. Congratulations!