HTC Butterfly is a top of the line product by HTC. Powered by a Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait and an Adreno 320 GPU it is a powerhouse. HTC is notorious amongst Android developers with their S-ON lock that doesn’t allow you to flash anything from recovery and to root your device it is necessary to first S-off you HTC device. S-On is a small security installed by HTC inorder to prevent users from rooting their devices. But that didn’t stop developers from developing tools to S-off HTC devices. Here is a tutorial to S-off your HTC Butterfly using the DirtyRacun tool developed by Team Unlimited.
- HTC butterfly with HBOOT version 1.39
- Windows 7 32-bit version(recommended)
- External SD card in your HTC Butterfly/Droid DNA
- Fully charged battery.
- HTC drivers
- Uninstall HTC sync from your PC.
- DirtyRacun for Windows (http://unlimited.io/deluxe_j.htm)
- RacunROM 1.15.970.1 – HBOOT 1.39.000 (http://unlimited.io/deluxe_j.htm)
- Disable any running anti-virus software on your PC.
- Backup your contacts and messages(get ready for MODing)
- Unlocked bootloader for HTC Butterfly
- USB debugging (settings > developer tools > USB debugging)
Note: all data will be lost during this process. There is also a small chance that the SD card will be formatted so please backup all the content from SD card.
- Install the HTC drivers and reboot your PC.
- Unzip the downloaded DirtyRacun zip file into a folder named “S-Off” on the desktop.
- Place the downloaded RacunRom.zip file in the folder created in step 2.
- Now connect your device to the PC.
- Open the folder “s-off” and press shift + right click and select open command window here.
- Then type the following code into the CMD window:(press enter key after every step)
adb reboot bootloader fastboot erase cache fastboot OEM rebootRUU (this process will take a while) fastboot flash zip RacunROM.zip fastboot reboot
- After the device reboots again enable USB debugging.
- Now in the S-Off folder on your PC right click on the RabiesShot.exe and select “run as admin” option.
- A CMD window will be launched and just follow the instructions.
- Once you finish with these you will have HTC Butterfly with S-Off.
- Now you are free to flash a custom recovery or Root your device!