Running out of Internal Memory is a common problem faced by every Android user. It becomes irritating when you are busy with installing an important App and your Droid show you an “Insufficient Memory Storage” message.
Here is a method to increase the App storage capacity of your phone using the App called Link2SD. You may wonder, Why to take so much pains to make a SD-ext partition when you can simply transfer Apps to SDcard. Well, by using this method you can still put widgets on your Home screen even of the Apps linked to SD card! This is a major advantage.
However, this App requires a little work to be done to make it function. You must have a SDcard with enough free space (approx 1 GB) to spare for App storage.
Requirements for this method:
- Your device must be Rooted.
- Download this software called MiniTool Partition Wizard on your Computer.
- Download the App Link2SD from Google Play on your Android device.
- USB cable.
- Make a Backup of your Memory Card on PC.
- Enable USB De-bugging mode: Setting >> Applications >> Development >> Tick ‘USB debugging’
- Enable the ability to Install Unknown Apps: Setting >> Applications >> Tick ‘Unknown sources’
- Download and Install the MiniTool Partition Wizard on your PC.
- Connect the phone to the PC is data transfer mode.
- Connect your handset to the PC via USB and then launch MiniTool. You should see the details pop-up under ‘Disk 2′.
- Now, Right click on the SDcard and format it.
- Then, Right click on SDcard and select Move/Resize option.
- A window will pop-up; Select the desired size for the SDcard partition (preferably 1GB) Then press OK and then Apply the changes in the main window (It will take some time. Be patient)
- Now, a new Unallocated Space will be created. Right click it and press CREATE. Leave all options unchanged; except set the format to EXT2/3/4.
- Again press OK and then APPLY in the main window. At the end of this process your screen should look something like this:
- Now, Copy and Restore all the Backed-up data into the SDcard.
- Diconnect the phone and launch the Link2SD App on your phone.
- It will prompt you for giving Superuser permission; Grant it! Select the format of the extension, so select from EXT2/3/4 as what you had selected earlier.
- Now it will ask you to reboot your phone (If not then something went wrong and start the entire process again)
- After the Reboot, your phone is ready to transfer Apps in to SDcard.
- Go to the App and select the filter option and select the Filter as User Apps.
- Press Menu >> Multi-select and press Select all. Then select the Action button and press CREATE link.
- Select all the three options given in the next screen and press OK.
You are all done!
The App will do the rest and you’ll have plenty of Storage space in the Internal Memory from now on. Enjoy your Android experience!
Note: if this method doesn’t work, you can try this alternative method.