Sony has a reputation to help the developer community to develop non-stock firmware for their devices. Earlier Sony had launched an official method to unlock bootloaders of their Xperia series of devices. However once unlocked you weren’t able to officially revert back to stock firmware after flashing a custom ROM. Holding on to it’s reputation Sony has launched it’s own official Flashtools to help users with unlocked bootloaders and with custom ROMs to revert back to stock firmware with ease.
Note: This method to flash firmwares is only for devices with unlocked bootloaders. To see how to unlock your bootloader you may refer to the official site: unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com. Even after flashing the official firmware by this method you device will remain unlocked and your warranty will remain voided.
It is easy to flash the stock firmwares using this flashtools. The steps are given as follows:
- All you have to do is download the flashtools package from here.
- Once it’s downloaded you can install it on your PC.
- Then extract the “customization.ini” file into the installation folder.
- Now launch the application called emma.exe.
- Then Switch off your mobile and press the volume down key(this key may differ from device to device) while inserting the USB cable into the device and PC.
- Once you connect the Device to the PC the application will automatically recognize your device and provide you with a list of available firmwares for your device.
- After selecting you can press the apply service button and start the flashing process.
- Once the flashing process is done you may disconnect the phone and reboot the device.
- The first boot may take up some time.
You can see a video tutorial here: