Security is always a big concern of having a smartphone. Unlike before, if one gets access to your smartphone he can basically can get a control over your entire life; emails, SMS, other important accounts, contacts, etc. So it is always important to setup a good secure password on your Android device. However there should be a good tradeoff between convenience and security. The password shouldn’t be so difficult that unlocking screen becomes a painstaking task.
In Android there are 3 types of screen unlock protections till Honey Comb(3.0) and an additional in ICS onwards.
The types are listed below:
- Face Unlock (ICS onwards only)(read the article linked to know more about face unlock)
Now we will visit each type individually, along with an effective method to set password.
- Pattern lock:
- PIN:This is a comparatively an easier method as it has only numeric digits.
- It can have 4 to 17 numeric digits.
- Do not set repetitive patterns like “2222”, “1234”, ” 20000000000″, etc. Keep every digit different as far as possible.
- This is a more secure password as it allows alphanumeric codes.
- This also allows 4 to 17 characters.
- Set up a password with numbers as well as letters.
- Include a special character
In case you forgot your password, here is an easy method to retrieve it.