The HTC One is the company’s flagship device. It received mostly positive reviews from critics as well as users and was a success for the Taiwanese company. It was specially lauded for its camera with HTC introducing a new technology in smartphones that looks to change the way photos are clicked. HTC also introduced the Sense 5 UI in it that featured the Blinkfeed and Zoe.
HTC then followed this by launching a Google Play Edition of the One. This had the stock Android UI rather than the Sense. So naturally, all the HTC exclusive features such as Blinkfeed and Zoe were absent and provided a Nexus experience to the users. It contained Android 4.2.2 which is same as the original One. This article will now explain the steps to be taken to unlock the bootloader of this device.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. If the device gets damaged, the writer or the owner of the site must not be held responsible.
Pre-requisites and Backing up your HTC One Google Play Edition:
- Make a Backup of the SMSs, Call logs and Contacts using the Super Backup App
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- HTC One Google Play Edition drivers installed on your computer
- Android SDK must be installed on the computer (adb.exe and fastboot.exe)
- Connect your device to the computer via USB.
- Open the command prompt window in the SDK-tools directory and type the following code:
adb reboot bootloader
- Wait for your phone to boot into bootloader and then type in the following code:
fastboot oem unlock
- After you type that command, you will be get a prompt window asking you to confirm unlocking the bootloader of your device.
- Press the volume up button to select yes and then press the power button.
- You will then see the following image on the command prompt window containing some errors:
Ignore them and your phone will reboot automatically.
That’s it. You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your HTC One Google Play Edition smartphone.