Samsung Galaxy S2 was released two years ago. It had some amazing features at the time of its launch – ultra-thin, a high quality rear camera, and HSPA+ Radio, the Galaxy S2 was a hit with consumers. It had a 1.20GHz ARM Cortex A9 processor, 1GB of RAM and 8 MP camera. When it was released, it came with Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS.
Galaxy S2 did not receive any official updates after Android 4.1. But you can update it to the latest Android 4.4.2 version using the SlimSaber custom ROM. This custom ROM offers a better battery life and optimized performance. You can follow the instructions given below to install it on Galaxy S2 i9100.
Note: This tutorial is only for the Galaxy S2 i9100. Do not follow this tutorial for any other carriers or variants.
Disclaimer: Follow the instructions at your own risk. The writer cannot be held responsible for any bricked or unusable devices. Even though the chances of your Smartphone getting bricked are negligible, the owner of the device must take full responsibility of it!
Pre-requisites and Backing up your Galaxy S2:
- Make a Backup of the data on your phone
- Enable USB debugging on your device
- Make sure the device has at least 60% charging
- Backup WhatsApp messages on Android Smartphone and Email
- Samsumg Galaxy S2 must be rooted
- Custom Recovery like CWM or TWRP installed
- SlimSaber ROM zip file
- Gapps zip file
Steps to Install SlimSaber ROM on Galaxy S2:
- Create a Nandroid backup from recovery, in case anything goes wrong.
- Download the SlimSaber ROM zip file and Gapps zip file and transfer it to your phone.
- Switch off the phone and boot the phone into Recovery mode.
- Then perform full data wipe task. To do so, click “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”, then choose “Yes” on next screen to confirm.
- Next, wipe the cache and the dalvik cache. Also format the system.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the SlimSaber ROM zip file.
- Now again wipe cache and dalvik cache.
- Now go to “Install zip” and then “Select zip”. Choose the Gapps zip file.
- After the process is complete, reboot the phone.